Hardcore Weather
Wilma main thread - Printable Version

+- Hardcore Weather (http://hardcoreweather.com)
+-- Forum: Weather (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Tropical Weather (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Wilma main thread (/thread-3952.html)

Wilma main thread - Calrissian - 10-22-2005 06:15 PM

bobbo4554 Wrote:the big question is where and how strong will she be whe she finally hits us. Also how long will she stay over land and how much damage will she do?

Compared to what the Yucatan residents have just endured, Floridians have little right to complain. At most they'll have an hour - if that, of 100mph winds, maybe 4-6 inches of rain, and then Wilma will fly through and out into the open Ocean.

Its all relative I realise, and it will make little difference to those Florida residents who will suffer damage to their homes, but still....it'll be nothing compared to the Yucatan.
--
Meanwhile Wilma is looking good to regain Cat'3 status sometime tonight, and then begin the sprint to Florida sometime Monday.

Calrissian: trying to keep things in perspective.

Wilma main thread - bobbo4554 - 10-22-2005 06:22 PM

yeah but its gonna be a lot longer than an hour and the thing that people dont realize is florida is still tore up from the storms last year it wont take much to destory some of these weakened structures i mean 4 hours of 100mph will destroy places like punta gorda, arcadia, and lake wales these places got hammered and most of the building and trees cant withstand stong winds for that period of time. Many people near the center are still in FEMA trailers 100mph winds will cause substaintal damage. We also have a hurricane colliding with a cold front which equals tornadoes which is more wind damage not to mention the rain from the front and cane so no it will not be as bad as mexico but it aint gonna be a walk in the park either.

Wilma main thread - Chris48 - 10-22-2005 06:25 PM

Right bob, I live over near Melbourne, we still got temporary power grids up because most of the poles from last year where torn up. I know further south in the county, the blue tarps are still up.

Wilma main thread - Calrissian - 10-22-2005 06:44 PM

hmm..
After much consideration...with Wilma currently at 100mph, I would think she will probably regain Cat'4 status for a 6 hour spell by tomorrow morning. The NHC are suggesting Cat'3, and they have consistantly been 1 category under the outcome.

Of course, might Wilma provide the very last surprise of this season and ramp up to Cat'5 ? It is arguably in a far better state than it was when it collapsed to Cat'5 on Tuesday (seems like weeks ago !) in just 7 hours, so you never know.

The sea temps are plenty good enough, Wilma has a lot of integrity.... and I can't wait !

Calrissian: Cat'6

Wilma main thread - Alex - 10-22-2005 06:58 PM

Well keep in mind that Hurricane Lili weakened from a cat 4 to a cat 2 before making landfall in southern Louisiana, and the storm was still able to produce considerable damage. Hurricane Floyd also made landfall as a Cat 2 with 105 mph winds in North Carolina, and caused enough wind damage along the coast to be remembered.

Wilma main thread - CoastieMoose - 10-22-2005 08:38 PM

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-wv-loop.html

PRETTY SLICK ERC WILMA IS HAVING, MY GUESS WOULD BE A BIG SLOPPY EYE WALL AS SOON AS SHE ENTERS THE GULF FULLY, THEN THE EYE WILL SHRINK AND SHE WILL EXPLODE INTO A CAT 5 AGAIN. I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF SHE REGAINED A CAY 4 STATUS BEFORE LANDFALL. ALSO WITH THIS COLD FRONT COMING DOWN, WXMAN SAYS ITS SUPPOSE TO STALL OUT AROUND TAMPA BAY, AND WITH ALOT OF WARM AIR TO THE SOUTH AND A BIG COLD FRONT TO THE NORTH, TAMPA SHOULD LIVE UP TO ITS REPUTATION OF LIGHTNING CAPITAL OF THE US. (A FRIEND SAID IT WAS THE WORLD BUT I DONT HAVE ANY DOCUMANTATION ON THAT)

Wilma main thread - mavidal - 10-22-2005 08:53 PM

Is it me, or does it look like this thing is already turned NNE or NE?

Mike V.

Wilma main thread - bobbo4554 - 10-22-2005 08:55 PM

it looks like maybe a hint of NNE movement but until she pulls from land a bit more she will wobble and move erratically.

Wilma main thread - Dgenx321 - 10-22-2005 09:09 PM

Damn her eye is reforming very quickly!!!

Wilma main thread - twiztidcabbie - 10-22-2005 09:16 PM

what are your thoughts on this scenario?

http://headlines.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?article=6