Hardcore Weather
Wilma main thread - Printable Version

+- Hardcore Weather (http://hardcoreweather.com)
+-- Forum: Weather (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Tropical Weather (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Wilma main thread (/thread-3952.html)

Wilma main thread - HoumaLA_WXguy - 10-24-2005 02:38 AM

How do you translate flight level winds into surface winds? Is there an equation that people use?

Wilma main thread - max2 - 10-24-2005 02:39 AM

Don't you add the speed of the direction the hurricane is moving to the wind speeds to get the wind speeds people will get when the hurricane makes landfall ?

Wilma main thread - HoumaLA_WXguy - 10-24-2005 02:40 AM

Chris48 Wrote:950 can support 120 kt winds around 140 mph.

Go to those sites i posted, one being the NHC, that doesnt lie period, that is the reading they got. Florida, I/we are dealing with an intensifing cat 3/4 hurricane at landfall.

I hear ya... wasn't saying you were lieing.. Wink Just wanted to verify the info that you had found. Smile

Man, good luck to you guys out there.. We stayed for Katrina.. and trust me.. I know how you guys feel with the way that this storm is turning out. Sad

Travis

Wilma main thread - Chris48 - 10-24-2005 02:41 AM

NHC has their wind profile stuff on the site. but it is usualy 88 to 91 percent. 90 percent being standard. Also, we are dealing with a tilted storm as noted earlier, so the surface winds might be slighly higher.

135 * 1.15 = 156
156 * .9 = near 140

Wilma main thread - HoumaLA_WXguy - 10-24-2005 02:41 AM

max2 Wrote:Don't you add the speed of the direction the hurricane is moving to the wind speeds to get the wind speeds people will get when the hurricane makes landfall ?

Well.. supposedly.. flight level winds are higher than winds at the surface.. I just don't know how to interpret them.

Wilma main thread - Chris48 - 10-24-2005 02:42 AM

10 - 4 Travis. Glad you made it threw K******. I was shocked aswell when i saw that vortex message, i had to run to the other sites, so its no biggie at all. Believe me i wouldnt believe it either. But I do now, unfortunatly its gettin a tad bit stronger.

Wilma main thread - HoumaLA_WXguy - 10-24-2005 02:44 AM

Chris48 Wrote:NHC has their wind profile stuff on the site. but it is usualy 88 to 91 percent. 90 percent being standard. Also, we are dealing with a tilted storm as noted earlier, so the surface winds might be slighly higher.

135 * 1.15 = 156
156 * .9 = near 140

Man... oh man... The models and NHC have definately biffed it this year on forecasting intensity! A 140mph storm is definately more signifigant to the cat 2 storm that they were forecasting yesterday! We might see even more strengthening before landfall.. I don't think we'll see cat 5 though.. the storm looks too ragged for that. Good luck out there!

Wilma main thread - max2 - 10-24-2005 02:44 AM

HoumaLA_WXguy Wrote:Well.. supposedly.. flight level winds are higher than winds at the surface.. I just don't know how to interpret them.

I am talking about the direction its moving at the forward speed. Don't you add that to the top wind speed to get the maximum sustain wind speed people could see ?

For example lets say its 115 mph sustain winds and moving at 20 mph.

Don't you add 115 mph sustain winds to 20 mph and that means people could be seeing 135 mph sustain winds ?

Am I wrong?

Wilma main thread - HoumaLA_WXguy - 10-24-2005 02:45 AM

Chris48 Wrote:10 - 4 Travis. Glad you made it threw K******. I was shocked aswell when i saw that vortex message, i had to run to the other sites, so its no biggie at all. Believe me i wouldnt believe it either. But I do now, unfortunatly its gettin a tad bit stronger.

Well.. I saw the pressure fall a little over the past few hours.. So, I can believe it.. But damn.. 140mph! Crazy!

Wilma main thread - Chris48 - 10-24-2005 02:46 AM

Definatly not a cat 5. the shear is increasing over the strom and its moving too fast. It should be weakening a bit so I dont think we will see that. Heck I didnt think we would get the 135-140 C4 indicated by the vortex message now. oh well, Good luck to everyone else that has to deal with Wilma today. If I find somthing else interesting ill be sure to post untill power goes out. Still on temp power grids from last year, lol. see how long those last.