Hardcore Weather
Wilma main thread - Printable Version

+- Hardcore Weather (http://hardcoreweather.com)
+-- Forum: Weather (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Tropical Weather (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Wilma main thread (/thread-3952.html)

Wilma main thread - ROLLTIDE - 10-24-2005 12:53 PM

back to a cat 3

Wilma main thread - mom2grls72 - 10-24-2005 01:43 PM

I thought that cooler waters were on the east side of Florida and that this storm would not restrengthen..What is going to happen with the Alpha system if and when it meets up with Wilma? Do they consider that when they merge to be "Alpha" or "Wilma"?

Wilma main thread - mavidal - 10-24-2005 01:58 PM

Hi all:

Well, we had some very strong winds down here in south dade. I was outside around 7:30 in the safety of the entrance alcove just watching the wind tear the area up. We have a lot of roof damage down here, anywhere from 20 to 50% of shingles missing. We had one house that had the rear porch taken off the house. I'm amazed at all the trees that did not make it through this one that survived andrew, katrina and countless others that have hit us.

Lowest pressure I recorded was 28.9" or around 980mb.

I'm sure the damage on the west coast and north of me is much worse. Generator is being cranky but I have it running.

DSL is down, using dialup for now.

later

Mike V.

Wilma main thread - Alabamaboy - 10-24-2005 02:24 PM

Here are the latest positions as of 2:30PM EST by the NHC

Wilma main thread - Alex - 10-24-2005 02:30 PM

mom2grls72 Wrote:I thought that cooler waters were on the east side of Florida and that this storm would not restrengthen..What is going to happen with the Alpha system if and when it meets up with Wilma? Do they consider that when they merge to be "Alpha" or "Wilma"?

The storm is probably feeding off the Gulf Stream now, that warm current of water that flows northward off the southeastern U.S. coastline. Hurricane Gordon in November of 1994 fed off of that to get up to 80mph winds before shear took all of it's high level clouds away.

Wilma main thread - Alex - 10-24-2005 02:33 PM

Any prelim reports of what the southwest Florida coastline looks like? My roomate's parent's have a condo on Marco Island, and apparently all of the condos there were built to survive a 9 foot storm surge. So if the surge was 16 feet or more as some were suggesting, many of these buildings are likely devestated. My dad's condo in Pensacola took extensive damage from Ivan's surge and only had light damage from Dennis' winds, so there's a big difference in what element of a hurricane does the most depending upon where you are.

Wilma main thread - ROLLTIDE - 10-24-2005 03:21 PM

Fox news has some video of that area Alex

Wilma main thread - Llarion - 10-24-2005 03:26 PM

No damage or probolems here in Pinellas; we lost power for about 30 seconds this morning, but no worse than an afternoon thunderstoorm. VERY windy, Big huge breezes, which my daughter enjoyed immensely. Hopefully everyone's homes and families are safe and sound!!

Wilma main thread - mike18xx - 10-24-2005 04:12 PM

soonermeteor Wrote:what was her strength when she made landfall?
125mph, although there was probably a very narrow stripe into the Everglades with 140mph (the zone under the southern eyewall mesos in which a plane encountered 134kt).

Wilma main thread - mike18xx - 10-24-2005 04:15 PM

I notice that the low over Ohio has gone stationary and is deepening rapidly now; how much this yanks Wilma to the left of the current forecast track (taking it past New Foundland) remains to be seen....