Cell Phone Service
05-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Cell Phone Service
I have never owned a cell phone, but wish to purchase one for my upcoming trip to the Plains. I will need long distance service for only 3 weeks while chasing, & do not wish to continue service afterwards. I only plan to use it for making & receiving calls w/ other chasers, friends, & family throughout the U.S., nothing fancy. Someone mentioned a pre-paid phone from Wal-Mart, but also mentioned a "roaming fee." Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Cell Phone Service
even tho I live in Canada, I work for a cellphone company and also worked for Sprint/Nextel so I know a little about phones, the best thing if you are just using it while you are chasing is to get a pre-paid, that way you are not locked into a contract nor have a monthly fee, check out different carriers and compare their rates to other prepaid carriers. I found this link that will find you the best carrier just answer the questions and it will give you the top 5.
http://cellphones.about.com/od/prepaid_p..._plans.htm

[Image: image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&a...1175804861]
05-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Cell Phone Service
Thanks!
05-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Cell Phone Service
Hawaiistormchaser Wrote:I have never owned a cell phone, but wish to purchase one for my upcoming trip to the Plains. I will need long distance service for only 3 weeks while chasing, & do not wish to continue service afterwards. I only plan to use it for making & receiving calls w/ other chasers, friends, & family throughout the U.S., nothing fancy. Someone mentioned a pre-paid phone from Wal-Mart, but also mentioned a "roaming fee." Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
As a side note, cell phone reception is limited in the Plains, and as I have discovered especially Nebraska. However it is improving.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Cell Phone Service
But it's generally better with a Verizon or other CDMA phone than with a Cingular or other GSM phone.
05-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Cell Phone Service
Is cingular really that bad on the plains ? I am thinking about going out there in 2 weeks.

Twitter updates we will follow you back
http://twitter.com/Hardcoreweather
Now on Facebook We will like you back
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hardcorewe...466?v=wall

05-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Cell Phone Service
the best thing to do if looking at coverage, is visit the providers website and look under coverage and see what kind of coverage they provide all over the US. I think this is the most important thing to check out before going to any carrier because coverage varies for different providers.

[Image: image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&a...1175804861]
05-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Cell Phone Service
Depends really on how far north you're going, Roll. There are some pretty gaping holes through central and northern Nebraska into most of western South Dakota and parts of eastern South Dakota and southeastern Nebraska.
05-27-2007, 04:07 AM
Cell Phone Service
I currently live in Vermillion, South Dakota (SouthEasteren South Dakota). And the reception within the general area about 100 miles in every direction from here is from poor to fair. 1x is mostly common through out South Dakota and Nebraska. Eastern South Dakota and Nebraka are pretty good for reception, but the farther west you go in the both states the less likly youll have a good connection. So once you get to the Western part of both states the reception will be anywhere from poor to no reception. And take note that there are many dead spots in eastern south dakota and nebraska. Typically youll be driving along and youll be talking to somone and it will just cut out with no reception. But rarly and you can usually call them back in a couple miles down the road! And North Dakota well yeah barly any reception there only on the east side of the state by Fargo.
05-27-2007, 04:11 AM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2007 04:20 AM by ryankite.)
Cell Phone Service
I did some research myself and I travel alot. The phone that I went with is Helio, they are National Coverage and there is no roaming fees. And I never had better service. My friends phones wont be working in a area but mine works like a charm. And plus it has 3G service and its Excellent! Check them out!
http://www.helio.com