Earth History Question
04-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Earth History Question
I just watched a special about dinosaurs. They said the earth was spinning faster back then and that there were 385 days in a year. I never had heard that before. What made the earth's rotation slow down?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Earth History Question
The earth, like people, slows down a little bit as it ages.

Only people with oversized egos believe that mankind has caused global warming.

Scientific Consensus is an Oxymoron
04-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Earth History Question
Stormrider, will you please find the answer to my question? These other people seem to be obsessed with rear ends!
04-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Earth History Question
Earth's rotation is affected by the tidal pull of the Moon. Because of the Moon, the spin of the Earth is slowing down at a rate of about 1 millisecond per year. The Earth spun around at a faster clip in the past, enough so that during the time of the dinosaurs a day was about 22 hours long.

In addition to slowing the Earth's rotation, the Moon's tidal pull is causing the Moon to slowly recede from the Earth, at a rate of about 1 millimeter per year. In the distant past, the Moon was closer. It would have appeared much larger in our sky than it does now.

That being said, I cannot dispell Mike's theory as well. Not from your rear end Wind, because I've seen it and it is quite petite, but from the hordes of fat a**es that decend upon every Walmart in the country each weekend.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] What do urine samples and Canadian beer have in common? The taste.
04-28-2008, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2008 08:36 PM by Windwatcher.)
Earth History Question
StormRider Wrote:Earth's rotation is affected by the tidal pull of the Moon. Because of the Moon, the spin of the Earth is slowing down at a rate of about 1 millisecond per year. The Earth spun around at a faster clip in the past, enough so that during the time of the dinosaurs a day was about 22 hours long.

In addition to slowing the Earth's rotation, the Moon's tidal pull is causing the Moon to slowly recede from the Earth, at a rate of about 1 millimeter per year. In the distant past, the Moon was closer. It would have appeared much larger in our sky than it does now.

That being said, I cannot dispell Mike's theory as well. Not from your rear end Wind, because I've seen it and it is quite petite, but from the hordes of fat a**es that decend upon every Walmart in the country each weekend.

Thank you so much, My Darling, for your mature and informative answer. I also appreciate your help in disspelling the general thought on this forum that my rear is so large that it may have caused the change in the earth's rotation. I love you more each day./loved
04-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Earth History Question
HarvestMoon Wrote:The earth, like people, slows down a little bit as it ages.

This is the answer!!!!!!!
05-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Earth History Question
Ok, here's another Earth History question:
If all of the continents were joined at one time, why did we not end up with some of the animals that are now native to Africa, here in our desert areas?
Why such a distinct difference in our native animals? No zebras, elephants, lions, giraffes, etc. It seems that all animals would live all over the world, subject to the climate of the area.
05-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Earth History Question
Windwatcher Wrote:Ok, here's another Earth History question:
If all of the continents were joined at one time, why did we not end up with some of the animals that are now native to Africa, here in our desert areas?
Why such a distinct difference in our native animals? No zebras, elephants, lions, giraffes, etc. It seems that all animals would live all over the world, subject to the climate of the area.

OK, Roll removed my smartass response, so I'll have to go with a real one. I would guess that most people believe that the "big bang theory" created the universe. It also started the shifting of the plates that caused the continents to form and move. Dinosaurs were prevalent all over the world, but became extinct (many believe from an asteroid that caused more plate shifting). Anyhow, once the continents were formed in distinct different environments and climates, the plants and animals mutated according to the environment.
05-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Earth History Question
mikearch Wrote:OK, Roll removed my smartass response, so I'll have to go with a real one. I would guess that most people believe that the "big bang theory" created the universe. It also started the shifting of the plates that caused the continents to form and move. Dinosaurs were prevalent all over the world, but became extinct (many believe from an asteroid that caused more plate shifting). Anyhow, once the continents were formed in distinct different environments and climates, the plants and animals mutated according to the environment.

Mike is scientifically correct. Pangea began to break up around 270 million years ago. Mammals did not exist just yet. As the continents began to break up, primitive mammals began to develop. These mammals were then confined to the distinct continent they were on and devloped even further but differenlty due to climatic conditions and geographic isolation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] What do urine samples and Canadian beer have in common? The taste.
05-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Earth History Question
Thank you for the vote of confidence Dr. Storm. So I'm curious, What led the first mammal to decide he was going to procreate? Did it just come natural? (run with that one), and what was he thinking when he ate the first raw oyster (run even further)?