Hail?
05-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Hail?
What determines the size of hail? And how are they able to predict "golfball size" or "baseball size", etc. I know it is ice that forms in the storms, but why does it not fall as sleet? Why hail?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Hail?
The higher the cloudtops, the colder the top of the cloud where the precipitation forms. I also believe the higher it is, the longer the hail has to gather more ice on the way down, so the bigger it gets. Sort of like rolling a snowball down a hill, wait, you live in South Louisiana-bad analogy.
05-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Hail?
Also, the strength of the updraft keeps propelling the precipitation up into the cloud top, causing it to keep building up more layers on each trip down and then back up. This continues until the hailstone is too heavy for the updraft to propel upwards anymore. That's why you only get hail with the stronger thunderstorms...a strong updraft is required.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Hail?
jaz Wrote:Also, the strength of the updraft keeps propelling the precipitation up into the cloud top, causing it to keep building up more layers on each trip down and then back up. This continues until the hailstone is too heavy for the updraft to propel upwards anymore. That's why you only get hail with the stronger thunderstorms...a strong updraft is required.

I wondered why, hail with some but not with others, thank you.
05-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Hail?
mikearch Wrote:The higher the cloudtops, the colder the top of the cloud where the precipitation forms. I also believe the higher it is, the longer the hail has to gather more ice on the way down, so the bigger it gets. Sort of like rolling a snowball down a hill, wait, you live in South Louisiana-bad analogy.

Thanks, guys! Very good analogy, Mike. I am familiar with the snowball effect, believe it or not!
06-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Hail?
The largest hailstones (world record contender size) require an updraft of over 100mph to keep them in the air. It's pretty amazing to think of one stone that size being suspended mid-air, but thousands, that's just insane.

The atmosphere is, IMO, the greatest wonder of the world.