What is Mesoscale analysis?
05-24-2008, 05:38 AM
I know it has something to do with thunderstorms,but I don't know exactly what it is.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Does anyone know?
05-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Only because I know how to google:

Mesoscale analysis is the study of weather systems smaller than synoptic scale systems but larger than microscale and storm-scale cumulus systems. Horizontal dimensions generally range from around 5 kilometers to several hundred kilometers. Examples of mesoscale weather systems are sea breezes, squall lines, and mesoscale convective complexes.

Vertical velocity often equals or exceeds horizontal velocities in mesoscale meteorological systems due to nonhydrostatic processes.

So Belle, maybe you and I could google together some time; afterall, we've already bumped together!
05-30-2008, 10:03 AM
mikearch Wrote:Only because I know how to google:

Mesoscale analysis is the study of weather systems smaller than synoptic scale systems but larger than microscale and storm-scale cumulus systems. Horizontal dimensions generally range from around 5 kilometers to several hundred kilometers. Examples of mesoscale weather systems are sea breezes, squall lines, and mesoscale convective complexes.

Vertical velocity often equals or exceeds horizontal velocities in mesoscale meteorological systems due to nonhydrostatic processes.

So Belle, maybe you and I could google together some time; afterall, we've already bumped together!

:wink:
05-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Mike,
In my opinion, vertical velocity never can or will exceed horizontal velocities. Unless of course there is an enormous updraft of macro-supercell size.
05-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Windwatcher Wrote:Mike,
In my opinion, vertical velocity never can or will exceed horizontal velocities. Unless of course there is an enormous updraft of macro-supercell size.

Perhaps the dropsonde you've been utilizing is just too damned small! Wait a minute, I get it, you were using innuendo! WIND, YOU ARE DEFINATELY A SICKO!
05-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Thank you Mike for explaining that.There is still things about the weather I do not understand.
05-30-2008, 07:01 PM
crossmaker Wrote:Thank you Mike for explaining that.There is still things about the weather I do not understand.

Don't take anything Mikearch says as serious. There is ALWAYS an inuendo!!!!
05-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Ok......