Hypercanes
06-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Hypercanes
Did anyone see the program on The History Channel about the hypercane theory? Really interesting....the theory is that when an asteroid crashed into the Gulf of Mexico area, it caused water temps to rise to around 120 degrees, triggering massive "hypercanes"...very high, not very wide super hurricanes that are almost like a tornado, with winds up to 500+mph! The theory is that they were partly the cause of the dinosaur extinction and the global event that occurred 65 million years ago. I remember a few months back asking just how strong a hurricane could theoretically be....the answer was physics would come into play. Try to watch this program if it re-plays. Really interesting.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Hypercanes
Windwatcher Wrote:Did anyone see the program on The History Channel about the hypercane theory? Really interesting....the theory is that when an asteroid crashed into the Gulf of Mexico area, it caused water temps to rise to around 120 degrees, triggering massive "hypercanes"...very high, not very wide super hurricanes that are almost like a tornado, with winds up to 500+mph! The theory is that they were partly the cause of the dinosaur extinction and the global event that occurred 65 million years ago. I remember a few months back asking just how strong a hurricane could theoretically be....the answer was physics would come into play. Try to watch this program if it re-plays. Really interesting.

I missed it.
06-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Hypercanes
It made me start wondering about what would happen if something occurred under the Gulf--like a volcanic eruption--that would heat the water to an extreme.....pretty scary!
06-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Hypercanes
Windwatcher Wrote:It made me start wondering about what would happen if something occurred under the Gulf--like a volcanic eruption--that would heat the water to an extreme.....pretty scary!

I don't think we would be around to see the hypercane if a volcano erupted that close.
06-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Hypercanes
Wow, I didn't know HCW had a Twilight Zone.... lol
06-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Hypercanes
Changing your hair color to Red really didn't change you from being a blonde, did it Wind?
06-18-2008, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2008 07:15 PM by Windwatcher.)
Hypercanes
Jerks.

A hypercane is a hypothetical class of tropical cyclone that could form if ocean temperatures reached around 50° Celsius (122° Fahrenheit)—15° higher than the warmest ocean temperature ever recorded[1]—which could in turn be caused by a large asteroid or comet impact, a large volcanic or supervolcanic eruption, or very extensive global warming.[2] There is some speculation that some dinosaurs might have been killed off by a series of hypercanes, resulting from an asteroid or comet crashing into Earth.[3] The term was originally coined by atmospheric scientist Kerry Emanuel in 1994, at MIT.[4][5]

Contents [hide]
1 Physical description
2 Hypercanes in fiction
3 See also
4 References
5 External links

[edit] Physical description
Hypercanes would have wind speeds of over 800 kilometers per hour (500-600+ miles per hour; 130 m/s), and would also have a central pressure of less than 700 hectopascals, giving them an enormous lifespan.[4] The extreme conditions needed to create such a storm could conceivably produce a system up to the size of North America, creating storm surges of 60 feet (18 m) and an eye nearly 200 miles (322 km) across. The waters could remain hot enough for weeks, allowing more hypercanes to be formed. A hypercane's clouds would reach 20 miles into the stratosphere. A hypercane would also damage the earth's ozone.[4]

I wonder if Kerry Emanuel is a blonde??
06-19-2008, 04:55 AM
Hypercanes
OH, WIND, IF WE DIDN'T TEASE YOU, WE WOULDN'T LOVE YOU! *tt2
06-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Hypercanes
Windwatcher Wrote:Jerks.

:icon_snifWhat did I do?
06-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Hypercanes
southernbelle Wrote::icon_snifWhat did I do?

Poor Belle, don't pay attention to the mean ole bitty! People get that way when they get old. Just come here Belle, and let me hug you and take advantage of you in your fragile state.