05-31-2005, 01:02 PM
how would one. . .
i think what they are implying by "chase"
is to set up shop somewhere near the
projected landfall is so they can film the
death and destruction up close
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2005, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2005 04:09 PM by Jeffery McElroy.)
how would one. . .
Yeah... the term "chase" always bothered me. It is as if the hurricane itself is subservient to the people "chasing" it. The very term is arrogant, which is just the thing that will kill you faster than anything in a hurricane. Generally, hurricanes in the open-ocean, or “fish spinners” as I have heard them called, are only a threat to shipping interest and are avoided at all cost. Occasionally a ship will get close enough to experience gale or tropical storm force winds. On land, people “chasing” hurricanes make a lucky guess by looking at Doppler radar and information no more specific than what the folks here or at cfhc look at every year. While they say that are "collecting scientific data" they are there only to experience the rush, feel afraid, and make a video for posterity’s sake that will give closer to many people who went thought he storm, as well as make the producers of it lots of money. A group led by Jeff Gammons down here made over 100 k last year off of charley alone. Of course they almost died as well.

Hurricane Andrew (1992) Homestead
Hurricane Irene (1999) Homestead
Hurricane Charley (2004) Punta Gorda

I suppose I am just unlucky Smile

...Chat is evil
05-31-2005, 04:14 PM
how would one. . .
On land, people “chasing” hurricanes make a lucky guess by looking at Doppler radar and information no more specific than what the folks here or at cfhc look at every year.

while specific landfall 48 hours out may be a 100 mile proposition, by 24 hours prior to landfall most "chasers" (like the dudes at HurricaneTrack who lost their truck to Ivan) have a pretty good idea where landfall will occur...so they get as close as they can, sometimes ignoring local law enforcement and evac orders, so they can film the approaching cane...

with so many people with video cameras, and all the local and TWC coverage of storms in the past few years, ima say that this is the year someone gets seriously injured or killed while trying to "broadcast from the heart of the storm". I only pray that it is not Steph Abrahams taking a flying piece of sheet metal or a 2x4. but it will take one serious accident before these "brave" (moronic) souls quit trying to mess with mother nature.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
05-31-2005, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2005 04:25 PM by Jeffery McElroy.)
how would one. . .
Wasn't Mrs. Abrams pregnant during her Frances coverage? That always struck me as wrong. "Let's be pc and send the pregnant chick to the worst possible place imaginable." It is funny you mention how someone is going to die. I met Wayne Sallade last year and he said exactly the same thing. We are going to see some moron get his head taken off by a 2X4 or a stop sign on live television.

...Chat is evil
05-31-2005, 04:25 PM
how would one. . .
um...Steph is single...i tried to get Clark from cfhc (who went to school with her at FSU) to set me up (jokingly) and he (not so jokingly) warned me that she is apparently a handful...now, i don't know if she was pregnant, but you may be thinking of a different TWC personality...one of the older (and been on air longer) personalities. their new policy is to hire only single hot chicks and "hunks"...
05-31-2005, 04:29 PM
how would one. . .
I think it was some other hot blonde chick that was preggers at that time!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2005, 04:33 PM
how would one. . .
It was some girl during Frances who was like six months pregnant (they made absolutely no effort to conceal it, and actually made a few references to it). If I were her husband (assuming this is someone else), I don’t think I would let my wife go to the landfall location of a slow moving, 500 mile wide, category 2/3 hurricane. Notice how Jim and that other lady on the evening edition seem to be spending a little too much time at the tanning booth. Are they trying to change their ethnicity or something?

...Chat is evil
05-31-2005, 04:36 PM
how would one. . .
Lets not get ethnic!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2005, 04:38 PM
how would one. . .
since my local tv doesn't cover florida storms, i pretty much have to rely on TWC for my cane coverage...i can pretty much guarantee you that it wasn't a TWC personality...there have been several pregnant anchors at TWC, but i highly doubt they would send someone 6 months pregnant "into the field" for cane coverage, let alone make references to it...they are owned by Disney/ABC and while disney ain't what it used to be, they're not quite fox just yet...

it must have been one of your local cane chasers who was pregnant