Meterologist
10-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Meterologist
Hey guys!

I'm seriously considering going to school to be a meterologist... although I've heard conflicting things about certian majors, if anyone could tell me or give me a little advice as to what to study and what to major in, it would be a big help!!

Also, if you are a meterologist, could you tell me a few jobs out there that involve dealing with weather. I absolutely love weather and I am very fasicanated with it, so if you you could give me a few ideas of certian areas or jobs I could consider. I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Meterologist
Are you in High school, well if you are me too! I'm going to become a meteorologist, once I graduate SUNY. This summer I'm going to do an internship with one of the forecasters from my local area, he's a meteorologist and a very good one at that too. I would suggest you major in meteorology, it's very involved...though I taught myself everything I know so... The first thing I would do is meet other mets and people that like weather in your area, great experince and always nice to talk to someone that has the same passion as you! I'm going to get a Bachelor degree in science, then try and get a job, then take it as it comes. Maybe I'll make it into Accuweather, who knows. There are some good meterologists on this website, particularly Brett...you should talk to him.
10-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Meterologist
Well, thank ya! I'm not in High School I graduated in the Spring though. I plan on going to school in the fall of 2005. I would love everyone's input especially Brett so I hope he responds or sees this topic! Thanks again for your help! Smile
11-04-2004, 08:35 PM
Meterologist
Good luck in your future career as a met. One thing I can offer to you is that it is STILL very math intensive. If that is not your strong suit, it may be a difficult path...My local NWS alerts us to any events that would be of interest to potential mets, so you should check that site on a fairly regular basis...examples...this summer, our local NWS had an "open house" (I attended), which gave a tour of the facility and the launch of a weather balloon.

Last week, SUNY (which stands for State University of New York), hosted a symposium for people interested in becoming a meterologist. Unfortunately neither I nor Jason234 were able to attend.

BTW I'm 38 years old, but a career change may not be out of the question some day.

Again, good luck!