Outbreak vs. Super Outbreak
04-13-2007, 06:25 PM
How many tornadoes are required for an event to be correctly termed a tornado outbreak? How about a super outbreak?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2007, 06:40 PM
It appears to be generally more than six tornadoes in a day in the same region is considered a tornado outbreak.

A Super Outbreak as far as I have found covers 148 Tornadoes in 13 states.

Hope this helps....
04-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Well, there is really no super outbreak classification. The "super outbreak" term was given after the 74 outbreak. That is one single outbreak that was ruled as a "super outbreak". A tornado outbreak is really several tornadoes over a widespread region. I would classify it as at least 25 tornado reports in a 300 sq mile radius myself. A "super outbreak" would really be 70+ tornado reports for a risk region, IMO. Those don't happen very often.
04-28-2007, 06:35 PM
There's also such a thing called a Tornado Outbreak Sequence. The May 2003 tornado outbreak sequence could be compared to the super outbreak given the time it lasted and the number of tornadoes. I think the "super outbreak" is just a name for the 70's event and not an actual term like Tornado Outbreak Sequence.

" There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not fear to do or say what you believe." - Winston Churchill

"In the history of the world, the true test of a civilization is how well people treat the most vulnerable and most helpless in their society. The sponsors and supporters of this bill believe that abortion is wrong because unborn children are the most vulnerable and most helpless persons in our society. I agree with them." - Mike Rounds, Governor of South Dakota